Friday, May 15, 2015

Hot Cuke Soup

A photo posted by Höķm Guerrerø (@revmcnasty) on

If you were like me you are probably used to all cucumber-themed dishes being served cold.  If so, then this will blow your mind.  I found this in a "Healthy Latin Cooking" book I got for Christmas a few years ago.  I never noticed it until my wife was skimming the book and asked me, "Why haven't you made this yet?"  She was right.  I had been ignoring this gem for too long and now we make a batch every month or so.

1 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper (green or yellow), finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 TBSP chopped flat-leaf parsley
2 cucumbers, peeled and cunt into smallish pieces
3 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper to taste
2 TBSP fresh chives or scallions

  1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onions, bell peppers, garlic and parsley.  Cook for about 5 minutes. Onions should be soft but not brown.
  2. Add the cucumbers and cook for about 1 or 2 minutes.
  3. Add stock and sour cream.  Increase the heat to high and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.
  4. Remove from heat and puree with an emulsion blender (or food processor, but my way is less messy.)
  5. Season with salt and pepper and serve hot topped with chives or scallions.
A small amount of chopped fresh dill can be used instead of, or in addition to, the chives/scallions.

No comments:

Post a Comment