We love dips! Any kind of dip. Red, green, white, taupe, purple - if you dip something in it: bring it on! We especially love the ones that can be made in under 5 minutes. Homemade hummus is great - and not hard at all to make - but I end up spending 15 minutes wrestling with a half-empty jar of Tahini plus I get oily fingerprints EVERYWHERE. So I am always on the lookout for quick and flavorful dips - with minimal cleanup. A snack so fast you can start and finish it during a commercial break during the game.
Many weeks either my wife or myself will cut up A LOT of veggies and put them in a large Tupperware container in the fridge. Having "dippers" pre-prepared encourages us to make a quick dip and skip the chips and Cheez-Its.
QUICK DIP: WHITE BEAN & GARLIC
1 15 oz can Cannellini Bean, drained and rinsed
3 cloves garlic, chopped or not chopped - it's going into a food processor regardless
juice of half a lemon (or more to taste)
1/8 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
2 or more teaspoons of whatever fresh herb you have on hand, finely chopped*
3 tablespoons water (or more)
pinch of cayenne pepper
pinch of white pepper
- For this I used 1 teaspoon each of fresh sage and fresh summer savory. Chop your herbs now!
- Put all ingredients into a food processor and WHIP it up.
- If it is too thick for your taste add another tablespoon of water and WHIP it again.
- Serve with a platter of cut veggies or pita or tortillas.
You can also use this as a spread on a baguette and then top with freshly grilled veggies for a great summery open-faced style sandwich.
Try this using roasted garlic!
* I like using two different herbs. One teaspoon of each. It really doesn't matter what the combo. Experiment. You'd be surprised that there is no wrong combination. Mint and dill never bonded so gracefully!
VARIATION #1: Rosemary-Roasted Garlic White Bean Dip
Use four or five cloves of roasted garlic, a tablespoon of fresh (minced) rosemary and a few tablespoons of grated parmesan. This variation is NOT vegan.