1.5 tablespoons unsalted butter*
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
2 carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 stalks of celery, sliced 1/2 inch thick
garlic, as much as you like but no less than 2 cloves minced
3 cups vegetable stock
4 cups water
1/2 cup STARS pasta (or ditalini or alphabet shaped.. something small)
1 zucchini, quartered lengthwise, seeded, and sliced 1/2 thick
1 15 oz. can of any white/northern/navy bean, drained and rinsed
1 nice large tomato chopped
1/2 cup fresh peas (optional)
1/2-1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice (omit if not fresh)
1/8 or more cup of freshly chopped dill OR cilantro (don't use both)
- In Dutch oven melt butter with oil over medium high heat. Just as it starts to bubble add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Saute for about 4 minutes - until translucent. Add the carrots and celery and stir to combine. Cook another 4 or 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add stock and water and pasta. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini, beans, tomato and peas. Continue simmering for about 5 minutes.
- Off heat add lemon juice and herb. Salt and pepper to taste.
* VEGAN VARIATION: Omit butter and use 2 tablespoons of olive oil total in Step 1.
Serve with a salad made up of other items from your garden!
Serve topped with finely grated nutty or sharp cheese (like a pecorino)!
Serve with crusty bread for dippin'!
Try using canned chickpeas instead of beans!